VISION

VISION
WHERE THERE IS NO VISION THERE IS NO FUTURE!

Friday, January 17, 2014

Melville and the Language of Denial | The Nation

Melville and the Language of Denial | The Nation
"Since my earliest readings of Moby-Dick, I always sensed Herman Melville’s deliberate misdirections: that he was telling some other story underneath the obvious one. So it was not hard to suspect his manipulation of the reader as well as his tendency to hide/display deeper revelations underneath the surface narrative. Benito Cereno fell quickly (for me) into that category because I didn’t believe... a kidnapped African slave en route to ownership by a stranger in a foreign land would be so accommodating. Why would he care about the health and well-being of his captor? I understood that the massacre of violently rebelling slaves would be condoned in nineteenth-century “slave history” as the erasure of evil or the culling of herds. But I saw the equally violent response of the slaves on the ship as that of rational, if enraged, humans unwilling to be kidnapped for profit."
--from "Playing in the Dark" by Toni Morrison

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive